What is an Internship? An internship provides students with the opportunity to work with a local business or organization in order to:
- Expand their awareness and knowledge of career opportunities in an industry
- Build knowledge and skills related to that career pathway, and
- Develop personal and work-related skills in a professional environment
Internships may be unpaid or paid. All Internship opportunities are posted in Xello.
Pathfinder Internship Requirements/Prerequisites: These are general requirements to participate in an Internship. Businesses may have additional or different requirements depending on their industry or the specific position.
- Juniors or Seniors (apply as a sophomore or junior)
- On-track for on-time graduation from high school
- Strong attendance and positive behavior
- Must provide own transportation
Credits and Scheduling:
- Qualifies for the Career Pathways Elective graduation requirement.
- Students will receive a grade of S or U (pass/fail) for each semester. Internship does not impact GPA.
- Credits are assigned based on the number of hours completed/documented, in increments of 32.5 hours = .25 credits. Hours are rounded down to the closest amount:
- 32.5 hours = .25 credits
- 65 hours = .5 credits
- 97.5 hrs = .75 credits
- 130 hrs = 1 credits
- 162.5 hrs = 1.25 credits
- 195 hrs = 1.5 credits
- Schedule: Internships during the school year are typically 2 or more class periods long and usually take place during 1 or 2 semester, but may be repeated. Students need a flexible schedule or some open class periods in order to participate in an internship. We will work with your counselor to adjust your schedule if possible so you can be at your internship site for 2 or more consecutive class periods, multiple days of the week. You may be asked to drop another elective or move a core class to another semester to accommodate the internship. Please keep in mind that businesses typically do not want an intern for just one hour a day, or after school hour from 4-5pm only. Summer internships (June to August) coordinated by community partners are also available and credit is usually awarded retroactively, based on the total number of hours completed at the end of the internship.
FOR MORE INFORMATION: Contact a member of the TSD Work-Based Learning Team
- Tierney Lain, Work-Based Learning Specialist
- email@example.com, call or text: 970-612-8802
- Work-Based Learning Coordinators at each high school:
Internship process revised January 2023