Seal of Biliteracy
The Seal of Biliteracy: Your path to success!
In our multicultural and multilingual communities at home and around the world, as well as in today’s competitive job market, the ability to speak, listen, read and write in more than one language can set you apart from the crowd. The Seal of Biliteracy was developed to honor students who have attained high level skills and proficiency in both English and another language. The Seal of Biliteracy is a credential given by the Thompson School District in recognition of students who have attained proficiency in two or more languages by high school graduation. The seal appears on the transcript of the graduating senior and is a statement of accomplishment for both colleges and future employers.
Why go for the Seal of Biliteracy
- Employers and colleges are looking for bilingual applicants.
- Honors the many cultures and languages in our community.
- Looks great on applications for grants and scholarships.
- Prepares you for 21st century careers.
- You will earn more money throughout your career than people who speak only one language.
There are two Seals of Biliteracy
There are two Seals of Biliteracy: The Colorado Seal of Biliteracy and the TSD Seal of Biliteracy. The Colorado Seal of Biliteracy follows the requirements set of the Colorado Legislature. If you do not achieve the Colorado Seal of Biliteracy, you might qualify for the Thompson Seal of Biliteracy, which has different requirements. After reviewing your qualifications and your scores on the AAPPL Assessment or the AP World Language or IB Language B assessments, teachers will decide which Seal of Biliteracy you may qualify for.
For more information see FAQ below or speak with your World Language teacher or your counselor.
The Seal of Biliteracy- Your future is brighter than ever….
The Seal of Biliteracy is a credential on a diploma at graduation from high school for those who demonstrate academic proficiency in English and at least one other language.
The purpose of the Seal of Biliteracy is to:
- Acknowledge and certify attainment of biliteracy skills;
- Prepare students with 21st century skills that will benefit them in the labor market and the global society
- Provide employers with a method of identifying people with language and biliteracy skills
- Provide universities, grants and scholarships with a method to recognize and give credit to applicants for their dedication to attainment of high level skills in 2 or more languages
El Sello de Lectoescritura Bilingüe-Tu futuro es más brillante que nunca..
El Sello de Lectoescritura Bilingüe es una credencial galardonada a los alumnos al graduarse de la preparatoria demuestran el dominio académico de inglés y por lo menos un idioma más.
El propósito del Sello de Lectoescritura Bilingüe es el de:
- Reconocer y certificar el logro de habilidades de lectoescritura bilingüe
- Preparar a los estudiantes con habilidades del siglo XXI que les serán de ayuda en el mercado laboral y sociedad global
- Proveer a los empleadores una manera de identificar personas con habilidades bilingües, incluyendo las habilidades para leer y escribir en dos idiomas
- Proveer a las universidades, subsidios y becas a manera de reconocer candidatos dedicados a lograr habilidades académicas avanzadas en dos idiomas o más
- Why does Thompson School District have a Seal of Biliteracy?
- Who can earn the Seal?
- Is there a fee to apply for the Seal?
- I speak a language that is not taught at my school. Can I earn the Seal?
- I won't get my AP test results back until after graduation. Can I earn the Seal?
- Are there any prep materials for the AAPPL exam?
- What are the differences between the AP and the AAPPL tests?
- What are the requirements to earn the Colorado Seal?
- What are the requirements to earn the TSD Seal?