Middle School Standards-Based Instruction
Thompson School District is committed to providing an accurate reflection of each student’s growth and achievement by giving clear, specific feedback on his/her growth toward the mastery of grade level content and standards.
The documents below are communication and resources that have been shared to families, teachers, principals and other stakeholders throughout this journey.
Letters and Communication
- Standards-Based Scoring Family Letter
- Standards-Based Scoring: Parent Brochure
- Standards-Based Instruction - Parent Questions
Report Cards and Grading
- How will a student's progress be measured?
- Middle School Grading Policy
- Parent Portal View Example
- Standards Based Scoring Presentation
- Work Habit Scoring Criteria
- Work Habit Scoring Criteria - performance indicators
- Work Habits One Page
- Stakeholders Presentation
- Elevating Expectations for All Kids: The Colorado Academic Standards (featuring TSD 8th Grade Classroom 6:08)
- Chickasha HS - Okalahoma News Story - Competency Based System Model
- College Admissions from CU weigh in on our questions - What are the necessities that you need on a transcript?
- Update on Competency-Based Systems at the Colorado Department of Education
- Great School Partnership - http://www.greatschoolspartnership.org
- iNACOL - International Association for K-12 Online Learning
- Competency Works - http://www.competencyworks.org/
- Sanborn Regional School District - Competency-based Handbook
- Rick Wormeli’s Responses to a Parent of a High-Achieving Student with Concerns About Grading Changes
- Affirmation Study of SBS
- Rick Wormeli - Videos (retakes, redos, how much should homework count?, late work)
- Inside Higher Ed - article - Let's Bid Farewell to the Carnegie Unit
- Education Week - article -Reviewing Student Work to Norm Departmental Expectations
- Mind/Shift Article -An Unlikely Group Forms Unified Vision for the Future of Education