IKA-R, Grading and Assessment Systems (Exemption Procedure and Information to Parents/Guardians)
Parent/guardian request for exemption
In accordance with the accompanying policy, the parent/guardian of a student enrolled in the district may request that his or her child be exempt from participating in one or more state assessments.
- The request for exemption must be submitted in writing to the school principal.
- The parent/guardian will not be required to state the reason for asking for the exemption.
- The request for exemption may apply to all or specific state assessments administered to the student during the school year.
- A request for exemption will be valid for one school year. Requests for exemption from state assessments in subsequent school years require a new written request.
- Parents/guardians are encouraged to submit their requests for exemption at the earliest possible date each school year so that the district may plan accordingly.
Information to parents/guardians
Each school year at the earliest possible time, the district shall distribute information to student’s parents/guardians regarding the state and district assessments that the district will administer that year. This information shall also be posted on the district’s website.
The district shall also distribute a district assessment calendar to students’ parents/guardians at the earliest possible time each school year, and shall post the calendar on the district’s website.
At a minimum, the district assessment calendar shall include:
- an estimate of the testing hours required during each testing window; and
- whether the assessment is required by federal and/or state law or was selected by the district.
Adopted: January 20, 2016