JICH-R, Drug and Alcohol Involvement by Students
In accordance with Board policy JICH, the following procedures are established for addressing alcohol or drug-related misconduct. These procedures will supplement and complement authority conferred elsewhere by Board policy and will not be deemed to limit or suspend such other authority.
- When a student is suspected of use, the person having the suspicion shall notify the principal or designee. Notification must include reasons for such suspicion (observed use, unusual behavior, etc.). The principal or designee will conduct a check of the suspected student and collect data. This action shall comply with the Board policy JIH, Investigations and Searches.
- If information is not sufficient to warrant further action, the principal or designee may have a personal conference with the student expressing awareness and concern.
- If information warrants, the parent/guardian will be requested to attend a conference at school. The conference may include sharing the data collected, explaining consequences of involvement with drugs/alcohol, developing a plan of action, and offering the student’s parent/guardian general information and resources related to substance abuse.
- When necessary, emergency health and safety care will be provided and any procedural or disciplinary issues postponed until the student's immediate needs are treated.
Possession, Distribution, and Exchange
Students who possess or are involved in any distribution or exchange of alcohol, drugs, other controlled substances or drug-containing or drug-related paraphernalia in violation of Board policy will be handled in the following manner:
- An employee who comes in contact with evidence and/or contraband shall notify the principal or designee as soon as possible.
- An employee who has reasonable cause to believe that a student possesses or is involved in any distribution or exchange of alcohol, any controlled substance or drug-containing or drug- related paraphernalia in violation of Board policy will request that the student accompany him or her to the principal or designee. If the student refuses, the employee will notify the principal or designee as soon as possible.
- The principal or designee will undertake investigation and search procedures as outlined in accordance with Board policy.
- The principal or designee will place any evidence in an envelope or alternative container as necessary which will be sealed, dated and initialed by the individual who originally obtained the materials and by the principal or designee. The evidence then will be placed in the school safe or other secure area.
- The principal or designee shall refer the student to appropriate law enforcement officials in accordance with applicable law. A mutual decision will be made as to retention of the contraband by the school or testing by the authorities.
- If information warrants, the student’s parent/guardian will be requested to attend a conference at school. The conference may include sharing the data collected, explaining consequences of involvement with drugs/alcohol, developing a plan of action and offering the parent/guardian general information and resources related to substance abuse.
Sanctions and interventions
Students are subject to disciplinary action up to and including suspension and expulsion for any single violation of the accompanying policy. Offenses and consequences for violations of the accompanying policy shall be cumulative for three calendar years. Offenses confirmed from schools prior to the student’s enrollment in the district may count toward the cumulative total.
Revised and readopted October 3, 1990
Revised October 6, 1993
Revised November 14, 2012
Revised September 18, 2013
Revised December 6, 2017