Family Engagement in School Wellness
How Can Parents and Families Engage in Health and Wellness?
- Join your school's wellness team and/or help to promote more health & wellness offerings at your school
- Step up as the PTO/PTA liaison for the health and wellness team
- Encourage your schools to include "healthy homework" and family wellness ideas in newsletters for families to do together: go on a family mindfulness hike, cook a family home-cooked meal one time/week, ask what your student did in PE/recess this week and play the game at home, sample fruit/veg that starts with letter of the week, etc.
- Encourage and brainstorm new ways to promote healthy reward choices in lieu of non-food rewards at your school
- Visit at lunch and help promote the salad bar and "cheer on" healthy choices
- Assist with before/after school wellness programs or play games with kids at recess
- Help to organize a Family Fitness Night
Resources:Classroom Physical Activity: How Parents Can Help (CDC) Promoting Parent Engagement in School Health (CDC) Parents for Healthy Schools (CDC)
Parent Action for Healthy Kids
Take Action for Healthy Kids (short video) Connecting with Your Kids: 25 Ways to ask your kids "How was school today?"
Health and wellness information from websites and other sources, and notices regarding events or opportunities offered in the community are provided as information only. Thompson School District makes no warranty, express or implied regarding the information, event or opportunity and assumes no responsibility or liability for loss, cost, damage, injury, claims and causes of action whatsoever, arising out of or related to providing this information.